[rfc-i] Problems and requirements for RFC Format

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 11:46:37 PDT 2012

I think there are many reasons that we have to edit using something
close to the final format.

If we edit a document in a crappy format that means

1) The reviews will be substandard. No, I do not do my best work
reading documents that look like nobody cares about my time or effort.

2) The reviews will be of a different document to the one that is
published. Change the format and people are going to see the issues
that were hidden by bad formatting.

3) There will now be two document formats to support.

Typography is an art form that is designed to improve comprehension.
Publishing drafts or any document for review in a sub-standard format
is an insult to the people who are being asked to commit their time to
review it.

There is a good reason that the Web beat Gopher, the Web looked good
and was easy to use and Gopher did not.

It might well make sense to have a different style sheet for drafts
and RFCs. Easy enough to do. Print the headers in one colour for draft
and another for RFC. But otherwise they should be as close as
possible.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/