[rfc-i] graphics support

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 07:27:47 PDT 2012

It seems that we have two standards here

1) For the existing format, any problems MUST be ignored

2) For a proposed replacement, absolute perfection.

I just want something that is better than the current one. That does
not mean that every pixel must occur in the exact same place on every
device.

The documents we produce are really not anywhere good enough for that
difference to make the slightest difference in any real world
situation. The current documents are so terrible that many people will
buy the nutshell book to implement the spec from because it is easier
to read.

What should be the standard here is the likelihood of someone
misinterpreting the document due to the formatting constraints. For
the plaintext series I think that is unnecessarily high. The ASCII art
looks like scribbles by a lunatic at the best of times.

We can reduce the read error rate very easily here. SVG is clearly a
major step forward. Requiring the new read error rate to be zero is
just a way to discourage participation - which I think is an objective
for many IETF-ers.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/