[rfc-i] graphics support

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Fri Apr 20 21:53:03 PDT 2012

Dave,

> On 4/19/2012 5:07 PM, Paul E. Jones wrote:
> > Why the desire to move from old ASCII text files to something better,
> > but still cling to drawing diagrams using ASCII art?
>

> There is a difference between 'adding' support for more presentation
> forms, versus 'moving' to a new form.  I do not believe there is any
> consensus to stop supporting ASCII text files.

One of the requirements is a need to support Unicode characters.  ASCII does
not do that.  We cannot produce an RFC in a UTF-8 encoding and then produce
an ASCII document.

Thus, I do believe if the IETF moves to introducing a new format that
supports UTF-8, this will effectively be a move.

Existing RFCs could stay just as they are; I see no need to move those, but
would not be opposed if they were duplicated as HTML documents.

New RFCs, though, really should no longer be produced using the current
ASCII text file format the IETF has long used, IMO.  It is time to move on
from that.  A proposal was made for using a defined subset HTML and I think
that's a really good idea.

Paul