[rfc-i] graphics support

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Fri Apr 20 15:18:23 PDT 2012

> > I don't understand why we need to be stuck in a 1960's lineprinter
> > world,
>
> We don't have to be stuck in a 1960's lineprinter world, but I think we do
> have to relatively old and simple document formats because those have a
> much better chance to give us the longevity we need coupled with the needs
> to process and edit RFCs with a variety of tools, most of them homegrown
> and therefore relatively simple, and we also want to impose little or no
> requirements on the display devices. The fact that it's possible to read
> RFCs over an ssh connection is something that I think is valuable, as is
> the fact that RFCs are so small that you can cary the entire series on a
> USB drive.

I can appreciate not wanting to use a bleeding edge, complex, proprietary
format.  However, anything that is built on an open standard will not
present issues w.r.t. longevity.  We can convert txt to HTML.  We can
convert HTML to whatever we want.  We can convert ePub to that next great
thing.  From the perspective of longevity, I would not worry about what
format is used so long as it would be possible to convert documents
accurately using an automated approach.

As for size, I really don't think that's an issue anymore.  I have a 64 GB
flash drive beside me that could hold tens of thousands of large, bloated
documents.  I'm not encouraging creating monster documents, but we do not
need to try to limit document size severely.

> > For inclusion of graphics, we could require something that we can
> > convert, like SVG.
>
> SVGs don't display in a good way on Safari on the Mac. The format isn't
> widely supported as far as I can tell, I don't think it's a useful way
> forward.

Is this an issue with SVG or Safari?  If SVG, I'd be concerned.  If Safari,
I'm sure this will get addressed.  In fact, I'm pretty darn sure if the IETF
selected MathML and SVG, all browsers would suddenly have great support for
those.  Priorities, priorities...

Paul