[rfc-i] Equations as graphics

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:19:16 PDT 2012

How about this for a proposal

IETF defines 'canonical form' of RFC/IDs which is

Some Profile of HTML that uses the IETF stylesheet plus specified additions
    * MathML
    * EBNF markup
    * Approved image formats [JPG, PNG, Vector?]
    * Other formats as agreed by specific areas

The document management system MAY accept RFCs in additional formats
as availability of tools allows. For example, Microsoft might write a
filter for .docx files that allowed them to be submitted in that
format and they would then be converted to the canonical form.

The document management system would publish documents in multiple
formats. These would at minimum include:

    * HTML archive file
    * Web Page Canonical
    * Web Page Legacy [Supporting older browsers]
    * PDF/A [iff someone provides the necessary filter]

The Web Page Legacy would do stuff like converting MathML and vector
formats to PNG images.

The requirements for adding any new format to the approval list would include:

    * Having a defined, open spec
    * Providing code for a validation filter
    * Providing code for a rendering filter if the content is to be
rendered in any format other than plaintext

Website: http://hallambaker.com/