[rfc-i] Problems and requirements for RFC Format

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Wed Apr 18 11:13:04 PDT 2012

On 4/18/2012 10:50 AM, SM wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>> ASCII 32-126 decimal (7-bit ASCII printable except tab), LF (aka NL),
>> FF, and CR.
>
> I avoided getting into the details. What was/is being asked of authors
> is pre-press work. That pre-press work is not required until the
> document reaches the (RFC) publication queue. The publication layout
> stuff (lines per page, characters per line) is not a limitation as
> anyone can change that to suit his/her needs.

Agreed. The only reason to care about the specific characters right now
is the challenge of translating tabs or 8-bit printable ASCII chars from
the author's submission during conversion/valdiation by the RFC Editor.

I'm not arguing for or against these requirements here; I was just
clarifying that the details are quite detailed... even for author's
submitted formats.

Joe