[rfc-i] Equations as graphics

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Apr 18 09:55:49 PDT 2012

On 18 Apr 2012, at 18:31 , Joe Hildebrand wrote:

> If we were willing to allow JavaScript (and decided that the Apache 2.0
> license was adequate), MathJax (http://www.mathjax.org/) might help with the
> rendering problem.

Ok, I was planning to write one big post with all my comments on the comments since yesterday, but this one is too important:

First of all, if we need equations then someone needs to explain why in a convincing manner, because that hasn't happened yet. As far as I can tell there are two types of equations: the ones that need to be turned into code, where having something that is written down as pseudocode is actually much better than a real equation, and the equations that are there to make a point. I don't like those. Maybe math people find communicating through equations easier than through text, but for most people it's the other way around. Did I miss anything?

But IF we are going to include pretty equations in RFCs, for sure there is no way that we can allow such a minor thing to be the trojan horse that brings EXECUTABLE CODE into RFCs! That is completely unacceptable for all kinds of reasons, from authoring and editing issues to security to predictability of the output to availability and stability of tools and much more.