[rfc-i] RFC Server Outage Report

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Thu Apr 12 14:23:15 PDT 2012

On 4/11/12 3:11 AM, SM wrote:
> Dear Internet Architecture Board,
>
> According to draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-05, the Internet Architecture
> Board
> maintains its chartered responsibility for the RFC Editor as defined in
> RFC 2850.  I hope that it is the appropriate party to enquire about this
> RFC Editor matter.
>
> The RFC Server Outage Report posted at
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2012-April/003218.html
> mentions that the "the RFC Editor server was attacked
> and compromised" and that "the website was returning invalid search
> results for searches against the RFC Editor database".  From the report
> I gather that any information served by www.rfc-editor.org over HTTP or
> HTTPS should be considered as invalid during the period mentioned in the
> report.

To clarify this a bit, the website returned no search results at all
during the outage.  No documents were touched or even viewed by the
attackers.

> The report does not mention whether information served by
> ftp.rfc-editor.org during that period should be considered as valid.  It
> is not clear from the report whether "the RFC Editor server" refers to
> both www.rfc-editor.org and ftp.editor.org.  Can that be clarified?

For the duration of the outage, no information was served at all from
the website nor the ftp site.  This appears to have been purely an
attack to take the RFC Editor services offline, not corrupt any data.

-Heather Flanagan, RSE