[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Apr 10 20:20:32 PDT 2012

> > So, do we want the document format to dictate the width of the visible
> > text or do we want the user to adjust his viewer to the width he or she
> prefers?
>
> It can be difficult to visually locate - or identify by name - text that
> adjusts in width.
>
> Right now, I can say "line 6 in paragraph 2 on page 4", or (if pagination
> disappears) "line 6 in paragraph 2 of Section 2.3".

Yeah, line references are going right out the window with HTML.  It would go
out the window with anything that gets rid of lines and pages.  But, I think
that's the direction we're headed.  It's fitting, as we are moving more
information from paper form to electronic.

I've not been too challenged with making references to sections and
paragraphs within sections, especially when one can copy/paste a sentence or
two.  That said, it has been entirely painless.  Perhaps we should tag the
start of every paragraph uniquely so that, not only are sections directly
referenced, but so are specific paragraphs.

Paul