[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Apr 10 20:12:47 PDT 2012

Peter,

> In my practice of writing specs, I now scrupulously avoid the lowercase
> equivalents of the uppercase conformance terms. It's easy enough to use
> "needs to" or "has to" instead of "must", "ought to" or "is encouraged to"
> instead of "should", "might" or "can" instead of "may", etc.

And I think that's key.  These specific words mean something, so case is irrelevant, really.

If one disagrees, then I'm not sure how one would interpret this sentence in RFC 2119:

"Authors who follow these guidelines should incorporate this phrase near the beginning of their document"

We all know we should incorporate the phrase that follows that sentence in 2119.  We did not need to be told we SHOULD do it.

Paul