[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Apr 10 15:57:23 PDT 2012

On 11 Apr 2012, at 0:40 , Paul E. Jones wrote:

> Does this suggest a different meaning:
>  "The client MUST select..."
>  "The client must select..."

You can argue this from both sides. I would say yes: the need to do something can exist because this specification says so, or for other reasons. ("What goes up must come down" vs "the server MUST close the connection after sending a fatal error message".) But whenever people find lower case musts or shoulds in your draft they think you made a mistake, and then either you waste time explaining that this isn't the case or (usually) it turns out they were right. That being said, there are two lower case musts (and one in the boilerplate) plus a should in RFC 6384, for which I am solely to blame.