[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Apr 10 15:49:34 PDT 2012

> > On Julian's HTML: I have no strong feelings either way, except that
> using text that runs the entire width of the browser window is rather
> suboptimal for pleasant/efficient reading. 10 - 12 words a line is best.
>
> That's something people regularly disagree on. (see epic discussion thread
> on the related W3C mailing list)
>
> In the end we probably need something that works for both audiences.

I wondered how people would react to this.

I general, I do not like applications that use the entirety of my display
area.  Thus, I have a certain distaste for the new Windows Metro UI.  That
said, I'm OK with it on tablets and certainly mobile phones, since there
isn't space to have overlapping windows and manipulating them would be
cumbersome.  (Thus Windows 8 on a tablet will be entertaining to see.)

That said, I'm OK with a web page that stretches the width of the browser
window, because I never have a browser window on my desktop machine that is
the width of my monitor.  I adjust the browser window to a width I enjoy
reading with (which happens to be just about 850 pixels on my screen that is
1920 pixels across).

So, do we want the document format to dictate the width of the visible text
or do we want the user to adjust his viewer to the width he or she prefers?

Paul