[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue Apr 10 15:40:05 PDT 2012

Julian, et al,

> > Not specific to this HTML example, but one thing we night want to
> > consider is whether we want to change the normative words from all
> > uppercase to italics (or bold) lowercase.  This document shows
> > uppercase, because that is the current agreed style driven by the use
> > of ASCII.  HTML opens up an opportunity to change that, if we want.
>
> I'm currently using all uppercase with a different font because that way,
> copying and pasting to plain text will do the right thing.

Does this suggest a different meaning:
  "The client MUST select..."
  "The client must select..."

I can appreciate emphasizing words (for a quick scan through a document),
though I wonder if use of certain tags could address that need.  For
example, I can load an HTML document in Word that has normative words (in
whatever case) tagged with class="rfc2119" and ask Word to highlight all of
them.

So, is there really a need with modern browsers, editors, etc. to even
provide emphasis?  I can appreciate how it would be useful for a quick
eye-scan over a document, but I would not think it would generally be useful
when carefully reading a spec... unless "must" and "MUST" really means
something different.

Paul