[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Apr 10 01:02:07 PDT 2012

On 2012/04/10 5:00, Paul E. Jones wrote:
>> Umm, I think that typing uppercase has become so second nature now that I
>> MUST continue doing it whatever the proposal suggests that I SHOULD do.
>> MAY I disagree?
>
> You *may* do that, but it *should* be recognized that this is just a
> carry-over from a legacy file format. ;-)
>
>> I like tagging though, that opens up the possibility of an automatically
>> generated table of normative requirements.
>
> Agreed.  The W3C does that to, but they still seem to put normative words in
> uppercase.  I don't quite understand that logic, but I think it was because
> they just wanted to follow RFC 2119 as-is.

There seem to be various opinions on the best way to show these. All
UPPER CASE is maybe too strong, but not having any special style easily
makes people miss the normative language. With HTML and CSS, there are
all kind of options, making sure that people can have their cake and eat
it too. There's not only bold or italic, but also small-caps (which may
be a good compromise between people who want upper-case, and people who
don't). For details, please see the CSS text-transform property
(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/text.html#propdef-text-transform) and the
font-variant property
(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/fonts.html#propdef-font-variant).

At W3C, over the past, practice has actually varied quite a bit. As an
example, http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/ doesn't uppercase, nor does
it use special markup. On the other hand, in
http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/ we went to great lengths, with UPPER CASE
(though made slightly smaller with a stylesheet), numbering, a
(non-normative!) appendix, and coloring (see e.g.
http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#C001) of the whole normative statement.

We actually used the term mustard (or should it be MUSTard?) for MUST
and friends, and choose a mustard color for it :-). In the end, I expect
that bikeshedding issues such as this one will take the longest to
resolve. The main format questions will be quite easy to resolve in
comparison :-).

Regards,    Martin.