[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Apr 9 13:12:07 PDT 2012

On 9 Apr 2012, at 21:57 , Joe Touch wrote:

> The ability to edit source representations in a text editor is meaningless.

That is a subjective determination. I assure you that other people feel otherwise. In my experience, it's usually not productive to tell people their desires are meaningless.

Of course this is only one consideration, if we can get everything else we want by giving this up maybe it's worth it having this fight.

> For any specific format there exist editors with varying capabilities.

Another consideration is the ability to easily create tools. Handling text is easy, and (constrained) HTML and XML aren't that much worse. PNG bitmaps are also relatively easy, but even though I'm not too familiar with their file formats, I'm betting vector image formats such as SVG are very difficult.