[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Mon Apr 9 11:36:56 PDT 2012

> > Not specific to this HTML example, but one thing we night want to
> > consider is whether we want to change the normative words from all
> > uppercase to italics (or bold) lowercase.  This document shows
> > uppercase, because that is the current agreed style driven by the use
> > of ASCII.  HTML opens up an opportunity to change that, if we want.
>
> That's the wrong question.
>
> The right question is: do we want to explicitly tag RFC 2119-relevant
> words so that they can be rendered appropriately using whatever output
> format/device that is used?

Tagging is an option we have if we go with HTML.  I could not propose
tagging if we were to adopt some other document formats.  Tagging is one
thing.  The use of uppercase or lowercase is another.  I understand if we
tag certain words, we can render them in a particular way.  We can also type
them a certain way, tagged or not.  I'd prefer to not force use of
uppercase, but tagging to allow the option when producing the output is
reasonable.

So, I agree use of tags around normative words would be useful.  I still
want those entered by the human in lowercase in the source document.

Paul