[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Apr 9 11:11:29 PDT 2012

On 9 Apr 2012, at 19:54 , Paul E. Jones wrote:

> Not specific to this HTML example, but one thing we night want to consider
> is whether we want to change the normative words from all uppercase to
> italics (or bold) lowercase.  This document shows uppercase, because that is
> the current agreed style driven by the use of ASCII.  HTML opens up an
> opportunity to change that, if we want.

That's the wrong question.

The right question is: do we want to explicitly tag RFC 2119-relevant words so that they can be rendered appropriately using whatever output format/device that is used?

That would be a good way to make the output a bit nicer and maybe reclaim the words "may" and "should" for normal use when not tagged, but doing this does impose a higher level of metadata round trip survival, as these words occur a lot throughout the text, unlike most other types of metadata.

On Julian's HTML: I have no strong feelings either way, except that using text that runs the entire width of the browser window is rather suboptimal for pleasant/efficient reading. 10 - 12 words a line is best.