[rfc-i] draft-rfc-image-files-03

Larry Masinter masinter at adobe.com
Sun Apr 8 14:30:37 PDT 2012

my presentation at the bof was about use cases and constituents.

for document reviewers and users (who want support on a wide variety of devices with a range of screen sizes) vector art (as supported by pdf and svg) is more legible than pixel art (as png, jpeg, etc) although conversion to device-resolution specific images may be beneficial for some current devices. SVG in utf8 has the advantage that strings can be grepped (although this would be a restricted profile of svg features we might want to require).

images can be rendered from vector art but not vice versa reliably.

device viewing capabilities are changing rapidly... do not design the archive format to optimize for a small subset of current capabilities.

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless