[rfc-i] LaTeX proposal misunderstood

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Apr 2 02:24:53 PDT 2012

Hello Yaakov,

Sorry to be late in replying. I haven't listened to your talk, but I
have read all the followup to this posting. I also want to make it clear
that I in no way dislike (La)TeX; I use it myself and have my students
use it.

I just want to make three comments:

1) Various versions of (La)TeX can handle various ranges of
"internationalized" characters, but it's one of the technologies that is
moving to Unicode at a rather slow pace. As far as I am aware of,
there's not yet a version of (La)TeX where I can input a wide range of
Unicode text and just get it formatted and printed well. We would also
have to include various fonts with the source to make sure the output is
reproducible. [If you know better, pointers would be appreciated.]

2) Mathematical formulae are definitely easier to hand-author in (La)TeX
than in MathML. But in a different thread, it was pointed out that using
complicated formulae is only necessary/important for a rather small
percentage of RFCs. Also, there are good (La)TeX -> MathML converters.

3) On a higher level, you write "there would be a suite of converters"
and "Perhaps someone would .. develop .. tools". Lot's of woulds. Well,
for XML2RFC, some people *did* develop tools. It's running code, which
is one of the tenets of the IETF. So if you'd develop some tools to
produce IDs and RFCs from (La)TeX, then I think nobody would oppose
that. Eventually, there might be enough users that it could be adopted
as the "canonical" format. But even XML2RFC, which is widely used and
has something like a 10-year history, isn't yet the "canonical" format,
so I'd expect that to take some time.

Regards,   Martin.