[rfc-i] On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload.

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu Sep 29 21:20:45 PDT 2011

Hi, Joel,

On 9/29/2011 9:16 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> I hope that I am misunderstanding you Joe.
> Otherwise, I would have to say that your description is missing an
> important fact reflected both in our rules and our history.
>
> Once a document is adopted by a working group as a working group
> document, it does not belong to the author. If the chairs (with the
> consent of the WG) deem that the WG is best served by a change in
> authorship, then a different person is given the pen.
>
> The earlier author must be properly credited. But they no longer own the
> text.
>
> In extreme cases, when an AD judges that the pen holder of a WG document
> is not making the changes the WG requires, the AD is expected to work
> with the chairs to cause a change of pen holder. This has happened in
> the past with working group documents.
>
> So, yes, the IETF does appoint the person doing the writing for WG
> documents.

You're missing the part where the IETF does NOT have the authority to
appoint an individual who does not WANT to be author. That's all.

They can't keep someone as author who asks to be removed either.

They CAN continue the doc and its text IF the previous version allowed
(e.g., allowing reuse, etc.).

But nobody can FORCE an author to continue to be an author, nor can they
force someone to be an author in the first place.

Joe