[rfc-i] On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload.

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Thu Sep 29 21:16:51 PDT 2011

I hope that I am misunderstanding you Joe.
Otherwise, I would have to say that your description is missing an
important fact reflected both in our rules and our history.

Once a document is adopted by a working group as a working group
document, it does not belong to the author.  If the chairs (with the
consent of the WG) deem that the WG is best served by a change in
authorship, then a different person is given the pen.

The earlier author must be properly credited.  But they no longer own
the text.

In extreme cases, when an AD judges that the pen holder of a WG document
is not making the changes the WG requires, the AD is expected to work
with the chairs to cause a change of pen holder.  This has happened in
the past with working group documents.

So, yes, the IETF does appoint the person doing the writing for WG
documents.

For non-WG documents, the IETF has no say.

Yours,
Joel