[rfc-i] Fwd: Re: Informational RFC to be: <draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-10.txt>

Ross Callon rcallon at juniper.net
Tue Sep 27 11:41:24 PDT 2011

I agree with others that "experimental standard" is a contradiction. "Experimental protocol specification" is fine.

When I was on the IESG, there were a couple of discussions regarding whether non-standards track documents could use the RFC2119 keywords (SHOULD, MUST, and so on). Each time there was clear or even unanimous agreement that this is fine, and that the words are interpreted in the context. Thus if an experimental protocol says "MUST do <something>", then because the protocol is experimental then you don't have to actually do anything related to that protocol and you don't have to implement the protocol at all; However, if you implement the (experimental) protocol, then whatever that (experimental) spec has as a MUST is something that you MUST do if you want to claim that you have an implementation of that particular protocol.

Ross