[rfc-i] On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload.

Scott O Bradner sob at harvard.edu
Thu Sep 22 16:26:27 PDT 2011

one observation

On Sep 20, 2011, at 5:47 AM, Olaf Kolkman (Acting RFC Series Editor) wrote:

>  The AUTHORS or EDITORS that appear on the front page header all need
>  to sign-off during AUTH48 and are the primary contacts in case
>  follow-up is needed. Hence they are the ones that are listed in the
>  RFC metadata and the ones that are listed in the Authors' or
>  Editors' Addresses section. We call this the 1:1:1 mapping. It is
>  not subject to negotiation.
>  Also see: http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html#policy.authresp

might want to consider the case of an updated RFC or publication of an ID where
one of the main authors is no longer available to provide a checkoff during
autrh48 -

 it seems rather bad form to pull the name of someone who did a lot of
the work just because he or she died or is no longer reachable (in the case of updating
an existing RFC)  -

I remember at least one case when Jon Postel was retained as an author on an update of an RFC even though he had already died.

Scott