[rfc-i] On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload.

Olaf Kolkman (Acting RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Sep 20 09:37:15 PDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 5:36 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>> it's great that this finally gets attention.
>

> Given the recent flurry of interest in the topic, yes it is good to get RSE attention on it.
>
> However I think things need to be explained more and better.
>
> We've gone more than 40 years without formally needing the Contributor section.  What has changed, really?  Historically, contributors are listed in the Acknowledgements section.  Why is a separate section needed?

A short answer:

Contributor sections are not new. Calling out Contributing Authors is.

We have seen a number of cases where authors are frustrated because they are referred to as merely "Contributors" and repeated arguments by the RFC Editor did not change their mind.

After a few exceptions some clarity an consistency was needed hence this text.

--Olaf