[rfc-i] Pre-IETF RFCs to Historic (not really proposing)

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sun Sep 18 12:29:33 PDT 2011

Hi, John,

On Sep 18, 2011, at 11:12 AM, John Levine wrote:

>> If the author is placed on a (1-person) email list without their
>> consent, I object, and will be glad to send all such mail received to
>> /dev/null (as I do with a few other notable such lists, including the
>> infamous "mycolleagues" CFP list).
>
> So what do you do with mail to the I-D authors addresses?
>
> It seems to me that if you publish an RFC and put your e-mail address
> in it, you have to expect a certain amount of mail related to the RFC,
> and this forwarding hack doesn't change that.

Aliases for what is already in the RFC is one thing (which I still don't think is either necessary or particularly useful).

Aliases that track a change in my email without my involvement is not.

If I put an email in an RFC and change my email, that's my right. It's not the IETF or RFC Editor's right to try to track that without my consent.

>  Sure, there should be
> some way to turn it off if an address is causing unusual problems but
> I don't see what new issues it'd present.

My email is in an RFC that is in code in deployed products. A significant amount of spam I have received is due to that RFC. If I felt like creating an email per RFC and feel like not answering them that's my business.

This is:
	- more work
	- when done properly (IMO), provides no info that isn't in the RFC
	- when done improperly (IMO), violates the rights of the author

If this is going to be put in effect, it needs to be opt-in (not opt-out).

But there's still absolutely no reason for the RFC Editor to provide this service IMO.

Joe