[rfc-i] Fwd: Pre-IETF RFCs to Historic (not really proposing)

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Sep 16 12:09:49 PDT 2011

On 9/16/2011 11:43 AM, Fred Baker wrote:
>>    "your email address has been updated to {xxx} for any future automated mail regarding errata in RFCs that you authored"
>>
>> I was impressed to see the scope of the change, across "all" RFCs, but didn't ask for details.
>>
>> One can easily imagine making this more automated, although that would introduce some significant security issues.
>
> Well, yes. The simplistic approach would be to provide author at ietf.org email aliases that would forward to the current address. Or not...

ouch.

Yes, that's the most general and well-established mechanism.  It's also a
strategic change, adding a long-term service that could be costly.

The specific requirement was for archive-related address updating.  That is,
RFCs.  Your suggestion would be far more general.  It's such a clean solution,
it's pretty appealing.

However I worry about costs for maintenance and operations costs.  Aliasing
services provided in scale have their own headaches.

mumble.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker