[rfc-i] draft-iab-ise-model-03 comments

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 15:01:33 PDT 2011

Hi Olaf,

On 2011-10-28 21:10, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
> On Oct 27, 2011, at 2:39 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>>> The document currently says:
>>>
>>>   The Independent Submission Editor is an individual who may have
>>>   assistants and who is responsible for:
>>>
>>> At least in the past, a team could and did volunteer to serve; whether they
>>> organized themselves as lead and assistants or equals was not really the
>>> point.  I would suggest "is an individual or team who is responsible for:"
>> It isn't clear to me, however, that a team can really be viable without
>> a designated team leader, or at least a designated convenor. Maybe "assistants"
>> conveys the wrong message, though - this would clearly be a team of
>> equals. I think this could be wordsmithed to give the IAB some discretion
>> when making the appointment.
>

> I am confused about this thread. Isn't that team that is referred to in the reply _not_ the editorial board?

Well, the draft refers to three things
 - the assistants
 - the advisory board
 - the editorial board

When I read about the assistants, I wasn't quite sure what they would do,
but decided it didn't matter - that's the ISE's decision. Ditto for
the advisory board. The function of an Editorial Board is well understood.

Then the possibility of a multiple appointment came up. That does confuse
me because then I want to know who's in charge. And maybe the "assistants"
are not just secretarial/editorial - maybe they actually help in deciding
for/against publication. So that would indeed overlap with the Editorial Board.

Yes... it's a bit confusing. We are trying to over-define things again.

   Brian