[rfc-i] draft-iab-ise-model-03 comments

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 27 20:39:03 PDT 2011

On 10/27/2011 8:12 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Dave CROCKER <dhc at dcrocker.net
> <mailto:dhc at dcrocker.net>> wrote:
>     To give the IAB this flexibility is to then require that when the IAB use it
>     they suddenly develop special skills at assessing the likely success of this
>     unusual form of management.  (Companies do, sometimes, have co-presidents or
>     the like but it's rare that it works all that well.)
>
> For what it's worth, I disagree.  At least one team volunteered in the past for
> this role and I personally believe that a team could work.

Perhaps you missed the parenthetical bit I included that indeed it is sometimes
done.  My meaning was that it /can/ work.  But the problem is that it usually
doesn't.

The question is risk/benefit.  It's a risky choice.  Where is the major benefit
that we need?  Why should the IETF take it?

 >  One could argue
> pretty cogently that Jon and  Joyce were a team undertaking this role for the
> years in which they served (in this and other roles).

You think that that team did not have a single leader?

> I think the IAB would have to be convinced that the team volunteering has a

Perhaps you missed the part where I noted that the IAB would have to "develop
special skills at assessing the likely success".  This is a case of making a
risky, strategic decision concerning management skills.  That type of assessment
skill is a specialty.

Does the IAB possess that set of skill?

> sensible internal structure or method of apportioning responsibilities.  Saying
> "may have assistants" implies that at least one team structure is presumed to
> work.

And since no comment was made against team structures in general, what is the
relevance of your point here?

> I don't think Abbot was Costello's assistant or Costello's Abbot;

1.  There is some danger in referring to a comedy act as an example of management...

2.  Behind the scenes, most duos like A&C actually are dominated by one of the
two.  Do you have special knowledge about A&C offstage?

 >  having
> them pretend this was the team structure rather than exposing the real one to
> the IAB seems pretty sub-optimal.

Having diffused lines of accountability and inviting a management model known to
be fragile is not pretty sub-optimal.  It's /very/ sub-optimal.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking