[rfc-i] Thoughts on the Independent Stream

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Sat Oct 22 08:22:07 PDT 2011

On Oct 22, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Eric Burger wrote:

> The ONLY work product of the IETF is an RFC.  Independent Submissions dilute the RFC brand. It is no solution for us to go out and say, "Yes, you think the work product of the IETF is an RFC, but it might not really be an IETF work product."  That makes the RFC brand even more diminished than it already is with the presence of the Independent Stream.

Some rhetoric questions:

- What is 'the IETF' in this context? The collection of bodies that publish on the various streams (IETF-stream, IAB-stream, IRTF-stream, Indep-Stream), or is it the standardization body that publishes under authority of the IESG?

- Would you say that IAB and IRTF stream documents should be obsoleted as well?

During the recent years of RFC reorganization the IAB has considered the RFC the publication mechanism for the wider IETF community.

Personally I believe that the future RFC Series Editor will need to be sensitive to the 'branding' issues of the IETF vs. the RFCs and a high technical quality is important in that. I personally hope that the improved headers and boilerplates will help in indicating differences, although I do not see that as the magic solution.

Important windmill though, definitely worth thinking about, not in terms of tilting though ;-)

--Olaf

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/