[rfc-i] New Version Notification for draft-iab-ise-model-00.txt

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:55:17 PDT 2011

Olaf,

On Sep 28, 2011, at 5:12 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2011, at 10:39 AM, SM wrote:
>

>> I vaguely recall that the financial aspect was discussed previously.  Was the outcome to have a line item for the ISE under the IAB budget?  Section 4.2 of draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 has it listed under RFC Editor.  BTW, I am not arguing for a change.
>

> End of paragraph 2 speaks on that:
>
>   While the ISE itself is considered a
>   volunteer function, the IAB considers maintaining the Independent
>   Submission stream part of the IAB's supported activities, and will
>   include the expenses made for the support of the ISE in its IASA-
>   supported budget.
>
> That is a verbatim copy out of RFC5620 3.2

The IAOC has been including this as part of the RFC Services budget since the ISE was defined.  I think it makes sense to continue this practice as it allow tracking RFC Services together (as opposed to having them spread across the overall budget).  Similar to the way the RFC production center isn't included in the IAB administrative line items even thought the IAB has oversight responsibility for the RFC Editor function.

I suggest changing the text to something like:

   While the ISE itself is considered a volunteer function, the IAB considers maintaining the Independent
   Submission stream part of the IAB's supported activities and that the IAOC should include these costs
   in the IASA budget.

I don't think isn't any need to specify where it is included in the IASA budget.

Bob