[rfc-i] An arbitrary example (was: Proper status for pre-IETF RFCs currently with "unknown")

SM sm at resistor.net
Mon Nov 7 12:08:12 PST 2011

At 19:38 06-11-2011, Martin J. Durst wrote:
>As a totally arbitrary example (and with apologies to Dave), let's
>look at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc822. Not only that RFC, but
>that actual Web page.
>
>This is just an aside, but I want to point out that
>tools.ietf.org/html/... gives both the actually published document,
>without any changes except for added convenience by adding links,
>and the metainformation (outside labels) at the top.
>
>Getting back to the main point: This document has a label of
>"STANDARD". But it's obsolete. For everybody except those really,
>really familiar with the situation, this means: "Go figure.".

I'll use RFC 822 as an arbitrary example.

The authoritative version of RFC 822 is at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc822.txt  RFC 822 obsoletes RFC 733
(NIC 41952).  According to www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc822 the status
of RFC 822 is "STANDARD" (STD 11), it obsoletes RFC 733, it is
obsoleted by RFC 2822 and it is updated by RFC 1123, RFC 2156, RFC
1327, RFC 1138, RFC 1148.  The RFC is in the Legacy Stream.

I looked up RFC 2822 at http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc2822 and I
found that it is obsoleted by RFC 5322, updated by RFC 5335 and RFC
RFC 5336.  RFC 2822 is a PROPOSED STANDARD in the IETF Stream.

According to http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5322 RFC 5322 updates
RFC 4021 and is in the IETF Stream.

According to the current edition of the Internet Official Protocol
Standards (STD 1), RFC 822 was the STANDARD and it is obsoleted by
RFC 2822.  According to http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html RFC
5322 is the current RFC for MAIL.

The version of RFC 822 at http://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc822.txt is a
the same the one available from the RFC Editor.  The version of RFC
822 at http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc822 is not an archival copy as
it tracks changes that affects the status of the RFC.

Regards,
-sm