[rfc-i] Proper status for pre-IETF RFCs currently with "unknown"

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Sun Nov 6 09:18:44 PST 2011

On Nov 6, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> Actually Joe, as far as I can tell, the RFC Series Editor does have some control over the "legacy" portion of the RFC Series.
> Are you claiming the RFC Editor did not ever have authority over that series?  If not, at what point do you claim that isn't true?

I'm claiming that we shouldn't keep trying to put old things in a box and steal their label.

THEY are the RFCs, and THEY have no stream ID.

If that's not something you want for new docs, then put the labels - or change the series name - of new docs.

The RFC Editor can do lots of things, but they can't rewrite history - there are many collections of RFCs that have been published, and many archives. They can relabel the RFC Editor collection at will, but they cannot rewrite what has been distributed elsewhere.

Let's leave the past in the past and move on. And if anyone is so uncomfortable with the "implication" of being in the same box as old RFCs, then *THEY* need to move to a new box.

Joe