[rfc-i] Proper status for pre-IETF RFCs currently with "unknown" status

SM sm at resistor.net
Tue Nov 1 09:24:21 PDT 2011

Hi Andy,
At 04:49 01-11-2011, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
>I started all this by reading the IESG's recent statement on moving
>RFCs to Historic, and then sending them a request to reclassify six of
>my old ARPANET-era RFCs (802, 851, 852, 878, 979, 1005) to Historic.
>So I was just doing this for my own pre-IETF RFCs. The IESG sent last
>calls on the action to the IETF list, and several people responded
>that the IESG shouldn't be mucking about in the pre-IETF RFCs, and
>that Historic probably isn't the right classification for them. Thus
>my email to this list.

RFC 802 is obsoleted by RFC 851.  RFC 851 is obsoleted by RFC
878.  These RFCs are in the Legacy Stream.  The RFC Editor could ask
whether anyone objects and then move the obsoleted RFCs to
Historic.  I don't see any problem for the others if the request
comes from the author of the RFC.  If the move is not tied to the
IESG recent statement, it should not be too much of a problem.

Note that my comments are about opportunity and not mass
reclassification.  If a rule is required for all this, it is easier
to do nothing.

Regards,
-sm