[rfc-i] [Tools-discuss] prototype xml2rfc creation wizard tool

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Wed Mar 30 08:40:36 PDT 2011

On Mar 30, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Tony Hansen wrote:
> One question: should the <facsimile/> and similar fields be output even if they're not filled in?

That's really a question of the DTD; there are some (organization in the author block) that are required even if empty, and some that are required (year in the date specification) but can be inferred by the tool. What you want to do is "do no harm", and make it easy for the consumer of the file to know what options they have that they may not have used. One way to do that is to specify everything even if empty, and as a quick solution it has something to recommend it. After the fact, I'm not sure it's all that important, and I could imagine tools like XMLMind interpreting the DTD and as a result not including them when *they* store them.

I personally don't mind which you do. But if it was me, I would probably specify them all just to make sure that any subtleties were finessed.