[rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

Bob Braden braden at isi.edu
Mon Mar 7 10:10:00 PST 2011

On 3/5/2011 7:25 AM, John Levine wrote:
> Since the last FYI was publised ten years ago, I think we can safely
> assume that it was an experiment that didn't work, the series is
> dead, and there is no value in putting extra work into it.

John,

The FYI series was not an experiment (well, in the early days of the
Internet, ALL the rules for
RFCs were "experiments", and the Internet itself was an experiment).
AFAIK FYIs DID
work. Jon Postel and Joyce Reynolds defined the FYI series so give new
users a guidepost
into user documentation for the Internet.

At the time, educating new users was considered to be a serious problem.
NSF was putting
mucho bucks into expanding the Internet to academic institutions all
across the US,
and they wanted users to understand the potential of the Internet. (
Postel and Reynolds,
in their RFC Editor and IANA roles, were funded by the US government.)
Joyce traveled
all over the world giving talks about this new thing, the Internet. She
also was AD
for the User Services area of the IETF, whose mission was essentially
the same,
producing user documentation and publicizing the Internet.

Of course, the Internet grew so fast that the User Services area and
FYIs soon became
unnecessary, and they were discontinued at some point.  Like the 1822
interface or
GGP, they became part of the history of the Internet evolution, as
recorded in the
*archival* document series, the RFCs.

But surely you knew all that.

Bob Braden