[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Jun 29 08:58:30 PDT 2011

On 6/29/2011 8:46 AM, SM wrote:
> My concern is the text change that makes the IETF community the arbiter of
> policy.

SM,

Thanks for the quick followup.

Continuing only to try to clarify this rather than discuss or debate it:

    My own view has been that the IETF community has /always/ been the ultimate
arbiter of policy concerning the RFC Editor, or at least has been for roughly 15
years.  That is, my model has had the IAB acting as the assessor of IETF
community preferences on this topic.  In any event, the IAB is certainly using a
community-consultation model /now/.  Consequently I am not seeing the wording
change as a policy change.

    My understanding of the actual /intent/ of that bit of wording in the
document is that it was not trying to change the model but merely emphasize what
already exists.  Of course, my understanding could be wrong on that point...

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking