[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority (was: Fwd: FW: New Version Notification for draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02.txt)

SM sm at resistor.net
Wed Jun 29 07:50:44 PDT 2011

Hi Joel,
At 14:25 27-06-2011, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
>A new version of this document has been posted.
>Based on the discussions that led to it, I wish to call the
>rfc-interest list's attention to two items in the document.  Please
>use a separate subject line in following up, and

 From Section 3.1.2.1.2 of the previous version of the draft:

   "All decisions are to be made in the overall interest of the
    community.  The community is the arbiter of policy.  The RSE must
    consult with the community on policy issues."

And from Section 2.1.2.1.2 of the current version:

   "All decisions are to be made in the overall interest of the Internet
    community.  The IETF community is the arbiter of policy.  The RSE
    must consult with the IETF community on policy issues."

The IAB has done a good job in striking a balance between the IETF
community and the larger community when it comes to RFC Editor
policy.  In this version of the draft the IETF community takes over
as the arbiter of policy.  Section 3.1 mentions that:

   "The RSOC will act with authority delegated from the IAB: In general
    it will be the RSOC that will approve consensus policy and vision
    documents as developed by the RSE in collaboration with the
    community."

There isn't any mention of "IETF community" in the last sentence.

As far as I am aware, the people responsible for RFC Editor policy
have always reached out to the IETF community in matters of
policy.  I don't recall the discussion about subjugating policy
matters to the IETF.  Feel free to correct me if I got it wrong.

Regards,
-sm