[rfc-i] Signing RFCs

Russ Housley housley at vigilsec.com
Wed Jun 29 06:19:15 PDT 2011

John:

>> Periodically, we receive a subpoena to validate various RFCs.  My hope is that digital signature can be used instead of a manual process.
>
> I'm not sure how that follows.  You get a subpoena that says something like "what is RFC 1234?" to which I presume someone responds with a letter saying "this is RFC 1234" and an attached printout, perhaps all delivered as a PDF for easy filing.  I don't see many courts being satisfied with a response that directs them to some crypto gobbledygook instead.

That is not how it works.  I have been the physical recipient of one of these, so I am quite sure.

The subpoena includes several reams of paper.  RFCs are printed, and the court wants you to validate that the pages contain the RFC as published on such and such a date.  The lawyers have already found the RFC, they want someone else to confirm the content of the file that they already have.  That is exactly the right thing for the crypto gobbledygook to do.

Russ