[rfc-i] Signing RFCs

Kurt Zeilenga Kurt.Zeilenga at Isode.com
Tue Jun 28 17:18:44 PDT 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Russ Housley wrote:

> Periodically, we receive a subpoena to validate various RFCs.  My hope is that digital signature can be used instead of a manual process.

Can you explain how you hope a digital signature will assist the subpoena'ed party here?

First, if the subpoena is sent to some entity other than the publisher, the party really ought to testify that they have no personal knowledge of what the publisher published.

Second, if sent to the publisher, I would think that publisher could respond, for each RFC asked about, a set of files which contain the RFC as published (noting we publish RFCs in different forms), as well as other information about the publication of the RFC the publisher has personal knowledge of.

I would think the publisher would avoid giving testimony as to whether a particular present file is or is not the same content as an RFC.  That seems like something for an expert witness to give testimony about.

-- Kurt