[rfc-i] Signing RFCs

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Jun 28 17:15:14 PDT 2011

> Periodically, we receive a subpoena to validate various RFCs.  My hope is that digital signature can be used instead of a manual process.

I'm not sure how that follows.  You get a subpoena that says something
like "what is RFC 1234?" to which I presume someone responds with a letter
saying "this is RFC 1234" and an attached printout, perhaps all delivered
as a PDF for easy filing.  I don't see many courts being satisfied with a
response that directs them to some crypto gobbledygook instead.

This isn't to say that signing has no benefits, but this doesn't strike me
as a likely one.

Regards,