[rfc-i] Signing RFCs

Olaf Kolkman (Acting RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Jul 19 12:42:11 PDT 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 10:01 PM, Russ Housley wrote:

> The IETF Secretariat has been signing Internet-Drafts for several months.  You can learn more about it at: http://www.ietf.org/id-info/
>
> In addition, there is a tool available to validate the signatures on the IETF Tools site. You can learn more about it at: http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idsigcheck/
>
> Comodo donated the certificate to the IETF for the Internet-Draft signing.  Comodo has offered to donate the certificates for the RFC Publisher to digitally sign RFCs in the same manner.  I suggest we take them up on the offer.
>
> Comments?  Thoughts?

I read the thread and my takeaway is that while the applicability to subpoenas is a matter of debate there is nobody strenuously objecting to going forward.

Also, there is no real harm in signing, and the costs of the implementation is minimal (configuration modification of the I-D signing script).

Let's go ahead with this is on the premisses that the permanent RSE may revert this decision if it turns out that the costs outweigh the benefits.

--Olaf Kolkman, ARSE