[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Jul 13 13:18:42 PDT 2011

On 7/13/2011 11:38 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2011, at 7:19 PM, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>
>> With respect to the specific<suggestion>  bracketed text quoted above, the
>> word "may" towards the end of the 1st paragraph is problematic. I believe
>> that all of the groups listed after the "may" are necessarily materially
>> interested groups, while using "may" sounds as if they might not be
>> materially interested.
>>

> While I did try to express that for some matters the set of groups might be
> slightly different than others, I understand that the two groups given as
> example are more often included than not.
>
>> So I would propose to rewrite the the 1st paragraph along these lines, with
>> a primary objective to have more clear and specific wording for a very
>> inclusive definition of "Internet community":
>>
>> All decisions are to be made in the overall interest of the broader
>> Internet community.  The RSE is responsible for identifying materially
>> concerned interest groups within the Internet community and reach out to
>> them.  Those interest groups include at least the IETF community, the IRTF
>> community, the network research community, and the network operations
>> community. Other interest groups might also be materially interested.
>
> WFM; although I would like to express that the reach-out bit is normative and
> the enumeration is informative. Not sure how to do that.

Decisions MUST be made in the overall interest of the broader Internet
community.  The RSE MUST identify materially concerned interest groups within
the Internet community and reach out to them.  Example interest groups include
the IETF community, the IRTF community, the network research community, and the
network operations community. Other interest groups might also be materially
interested.

/////

I think the above gives you what you ask for, without redundant or
overly-qualified language.

Using classic normative vocabulary is a bit awkward, but it casts this in the
form you wanted.  The use of "example, means the list is not exhaustive, of course.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking