[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority

Olaf Kolkman olaf at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Jul 13 11:38:01 PDT 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 7:19 PM, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> With respect to the specific <suggestion> bracketed text quoted above,
> the word "may" towards the end of the 1st paragraph is problematic.
> I believe that all of the groups listed after the "may" are necessarily
> materially interested groups, while using "may" sounds as if they
> might not be materially interested.

While I did try to express that for some matters the set of groups might be slightly different than others, I understand that the two groups given as example are more often included than not.

> So I would propose to rewrite the the 1st paragraph along these lines,
> with a primary objective to have more clear and specific wording
> for a very inclusive definition of "Internet community":
>
> 	All decisions are to be made in the overall interest
> 	of the broader Internet community.  The RSE is responsible
> 	for identifying materially concerned interest groups within the
> 	Internet community and reach out to them.  Those interest
> 	groups include at least the IETF community, the IRTF community,
> 	the network research community, and the network operations community.
> 	Other interest groups might also be materially interested.

WFM; although I would like to express that the reach-out bit is normative and the enumeration is informative. Not sure how to do that.

--Olaf

http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/