[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - policy authority

RJ Atkinson rja.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 10:19:14 PDT 2011

Earlier Olaf Kolkman wrote in part:
> Anyhow, more to the point. In trying to come up with a more stricter definition
> of "Internet Community" I came up with the text below. This puts the burden
> on the RSE to seek input in places where she thinks that is relevant an provide
> an explanation why those places are selected and other places are not actively
> reached out to. This is, as part of the recommendation, part of the final decision.
>
> Does that work?
>
> <suggestion>
>
> Policy Authority
>
> All decisions are to be made in the overall interest of the Internet community.
> The RSE is responsible to identify materially concerned interest groups within
> the Internet community and reach out to them. Those interest groups naturally
> include the IETFcommunity, but may also, for example, include the Network
> research and network operations communities.
>
> The RSE must consult with the community on policy issues.  The RSE works
> with the community to achieve policy that meets the overall quality, continuity,
> and evolution goals the RSE is charged with meeting.  As described below
> in Section 3.1 the RSE reports the results of such interactions, to the RSOC,
> including a description of the outreach efforts and the specific recommendations
> on policy.  This enables the RSOC to provide the oversight the IAB is required
> to apply, as well as to confirm that the Internet community has been properly
> consulted and considered in making policy.
>
> </suggestion>

With respect to the specific <suggestion> bracketed text quoted above,
the word "may" towards the end of the 1st paragraph is problematic.
I believe that all of the groups listed after the "may" are necessarily
materially interested groups, while using "may" sounds as if they
might not be materially interested.

So I would propose to rewrite the the 1st paragraph along these lines,
with a primary objective to have more clear and specific wording
for a very inclusive definition of "Internet community":

	All decisions are to be made in the overall interest
	of the broader Internet community.  The RSE is responsible
	for identifying materially concerned interest groups within the
	Internet community and reach out to them.  Those interest
	groups include at least the IETF community, the IRTF community,
	the network research community, and the network operations community.
	Other interest groups might also be materially interested.

Yours,

Ran Atkinson