[rfc-i] Comprehensive review of draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - IANA Considerations

SM sm at resistor.net
Mon Jul 11 18:02:19 PDT 2011

Hi Bob,
At 15:07 11-07-2011, Bob Hinden wrote:
>The IAOC did indeed sign the "ICANN-IETF MoU Supplemental Agreement"
>on 28 April 2011.  It can be found at:
>
>   http://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/ICANN-IETF-Agreement-2011-Executed.pdf
>
>The IAOC/IASA does have a agreement with ICANN/IANA.

Thanks for the answer.  What follows are general comments.

I read the document mentioned above.  The agreement is between two
organizations, ICANN and IASA.

 From RFC 6220:

   "An Operator of an IETF protocol parameter registry undertakes the
    role as a delegated function under the authority of the IAB."

   "The IAB has the responsibility to determine the terms and conditions
    of this delegated role."

   "The IAOC is responsible for identifying a potential vendor in a
    manner of their choosing, based on IAB consultation, and for managing
    the various aspects of the relationships with that vendor."

The IAB, on behalf of the IETF, has had a clear line up to now when
it comes to the IETF protocol parameter registry.  The draft diverges
from that in several places.

Regards,
-sm