[rfc-i] [IAB] Comprehensive review of draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - RSOC

SM sm at resistor.net
Mon Jul 11 13:22:54 PDT 2011

At 14:43 10-07-2011, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>IAB (and the community) as needed. I see nothing in the IAB charter to
>forbid this.

If the IAB wants to explore unchartered territories, I hope that it
will be an informed decision.

Olaf mentioned [1] that there were different views in regards to the
level of autonomy, authority, and responsibility that we want to
allow the RSE to have.  There are also different views in regards to
the level of authority and responsibility that the various parties
mentioned in the document are allowed to have.  For example:

   "The IAOC has the responsibility to approve the total RFC Editor
    budget (and the authority to deny it.)"

Those who hold the purse strings call the tune.  It is unclear
whether the budget is about IASA covering RFC Editor needs or whether
a side effect of the above text gives the IAOC a power of veto on the
RFC Editor functions.  I'll merely note that at some future point in
time this document can create the perfect storm and lead to serious
procedural issues.

In a previous message [2], I asked a question which is related to
Section 5 of the draft.  Benard Aboba commented [3] that the draft
does not update RFC 2850. I would be grateful if the IAOC could
provide an answer.

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2011-July/002637.html