[rfc-i] [IAB] Comprehensive review of draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - RSOC

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Jul 10 15:09:01 PDT 2011

>> So, Joel, if the answer is "IAB Program", then anything that
>> >  implies that the RSOC is part of the RFC Editor Function,
>> >  including especially the discussion of IAOC budgeting in Section
>> >  4.2, has to be revised.
> I think this conundrum explains why I don't think that the "IAB Program"
> model is the correct one. I haven't deviated from the view I formed in
> Beijing that the RSOC should be a stand-alone committee within the
> RFC Editor function, collaborating with the IAOC and reporting to the
> IAB (and the community) as needed. I see nothing in the IAB charter to
> forbid this.

It easily can be a conundrum.

I think the way to resolve it is to cast the Program construct as a startup model.

Lober term, the operation can be viewed as either operating as a wholly-owned
subsidiary or as becoming independent of the IAB.  Either way, in its entirety
it has its own organizational components, including the oversight body.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking