[rfc-i] [IAB] Comprehensive review of draft-iab-rfc-editor-model-v2-02 - RSOC

Joel M. Halpern jmh at joelhalpern.com
Sun Jul 10 10:15:48 PDT 2011

The intention, as I understand it, regarding the RSOC is:
1) The IAB is responbsible for oversight of the RSE
2) The IAB understands that charging the full IAB with directly
performing this function is unlikely to be effective
3) So the IAB is assigning a few IAB members, and a number of community
members, to perform that oversight.
4) In order to ensure that this committee has sufficient authority, and
has appropriate ties to the whole IAB, the IAB operates this as a
program of the IAB.  I.e., this is the method the IAB is using to
exercise its responsibility and authority.
4') In order to be clear with the community, this is described in the
document rather than being left as an exercise for the discerning
observer of IAB activities.

Whether this "works" or not I leave to others to judge.  But it seems
practical and effective to me.

Yours,
Joel