[rfc-i] ultimate authority

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jul 7 07:44:17 PDT 2011

On 7/7/2011 7:32 AM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>> 2. If the community provides a clear indication of rough consensus, but the
>> majority (or more) of the IAB disagrees with it, is the IAB empowered to
>> make a decisions that differs from the apparent community rough consensus?
> Technically, I believe that is possible. In that case BCP10 Section 7 might
> become relevant.

I don't see that a recall is automatically required.

For reference, this authority model already exists formally within the IETF.

In spite of working group and even community rough consensus, to approve a
specification, an Area Director has the authority to block approval with a
Discuss.  While pressure can be brought against the Area Director, hard
authority to force removal is quite limited, absent the Area Director's agreement.

(I believe the IESG finally put in a time-limit on this that then lets the IESG
majority override the Area Director, but my understanding is that that has
virtually or actually never been used.)

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking