[rfc-i] IAB/RSOC relationship‏

Dave CROCKER dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jul 7 06:54:33 PDT 2011

On 7/1/2011 12:51 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Ran Atkinson said:
>
> I would like to see edits made clarifying that the IAB is NOT
> expected to act as a"rubber stamp"  with respect to RFC matters,
> but instead the IAB is expected to actually exercise oversight.
>
> [BA] Section 3.1 attempts to explain the relationship between IAB and RSOC:
>
> *3.1. RFC Series Oversight Committee (RSOC)*
>
>     The IAB is responsible for oversight over the RFC Series and acts as
>     a body for appeal and conflict resolution.

Simple, meaningful language is usually better than adding layers of qualifying
text, attempting to guard against misinterpretation.  For example, one of the
dangers of adding qualifying language is that it invites speculation about what
was left out.

Language like "The IAB is responsible for oversight" is unambiguous and quite
thorough.  It does not need elaboration or "protection".

>     The RSOC will act with authority delegated from the IAB: In general
>     it will be the RSOC that will approve consensus policy and vision
>     documents as developed by the RSE in collaboration with the
>     community.  While it is expected that the IAB will exercise due
>     diligence in its supervision of the RSOC, the RSOC should be allowed
>     the latitude to do its job without undue interference from the IAB.
>     Therefore, it is expected that the IAB will accord RSOC reports and
>     recommendations the benefit of the doubt.

Again, the word is "delegation" and the only qualification is a general
statement about the intended scope.  The next step in wording, beyond this,
would be a detailed and painful listing of scope, process, etc.  We don't need that.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking